WORK PACKAGE 1
Situational analysis of pollution generated by the use of plastics in the fishing and aquaculture industry.
The objective of this work package is to take stock of the current situation regarding the pollution generated by the use of plastics in the fishing and aquaculture industry, in order to propose a relevant alternative solution adapted to the needs of the end users.
It includes :
- Investigative work in different fishing ports (UBS, SMEL, CEFAS) to identify the plastics used on board and quantify the waste generated by the industry.
- A mobile application based on participative science (IFREMER) allowing users of the marine environment (fishermen, yachtsmen, divers) to report gear lost on the coast or at sea.
- Studies to identify collection points for used fishing gear in ports and existing recycling channels and recommendations to improve and facilitate the collection and recycling of fishing gear. A good practice guide will be available
- Selection of prototypes (one for fisheries and one for aquaculture)
- A market analysis on biodegradable plastics in order to put forward the offer, the demand, the needs and the expectations in term of price.